Juniata Crossing got its name from its original owner, James Martin, a Wales native, who operated the ferry at this site. Juniata came from the river and Crossing from the ferry. The construction of the stone house started in 1813 when Hugh Dennison purchased the land. Dennison knew this was a prime site to construct an inn and tavern for stagecoach travelers. Dennison didn’t live to see the completion of his tavern. But his wife, Mary Dennison, had the construction completed in 1818. Juniata Crossings was the stop of some prominent historical figures. Abraham Lincoln, Zachary Taylor, General Longstreet, P.T. Barnum, and Jenny Lind all supposedly stayed at the Juniata Crossings. From 1818 to
present-day the Crossings has had many different owners and many different plans. Everything from the tavern to bed and breakfast to what it is today, a beautiful gift shop owned by Paula and Kenny Clingerman. The Juniata Crossings has been around for over 190 years and its history continues on!